For all your online business building info! , 2018-04-27 08:52:10
From a Hobby to a Home-Based Business
If you want to work from home, you have to change your mindset and realize that you are in control of whether or not you are going to have a job you love. YOU determine what your business will be. In most cases people start out with a hobby that they love to do, until they realize that they can make money from their hobby. The only thing left to do is to turn the hobby into a home-based business.
Of course not every hobby can be used to make money (online) from, but in most hobbies there is an element that can be used to turn into a business. So let’s start exploring!
1. List Your Hobbies
First you have to find out what things you love to do in your spare time. For instance: if you love fishing than put it on the list. If you like building birdhouses, put it on the list. If you like to walk with your dog, put it on the list and so on. Do not dismiss it just because you think you can’t turn it into a business. You may find yourself surprised how even the most peculiar hobby or thing you love can be turned into a successful home business.
2. List Your Skills
The next list you have to make is a list of skills that you think you have. The list should include everything that you can do really well, whether or not you like doing it. Try to be precise.
Now that we have the two list, its time to get creative! Take both lists and make a third list. In this third list you try to combine both the hobbies list and skills list. You also try to come up with something that is business like if the skill is very vague. (For instance we used “working with small objects” in the second example below.)
Let’s give an example: In the first list you have put fishing. In the second list you have put writing. In the third list you now can put “writing about fishing.”
Another example: In the first list you have put fishing. In the second list you have put working with small objects, writing and photography. Now think about it. What can you do that has to do with “fishing” and “working with small objects?” For instance: making fly-fishing flies would be a good answer. But you can also make a guide about making fly-fishing flies, so that you use your writing, photography and working with small objects skills.
Third example: You love antiques and you are very technical or work with wood. You can for example make websites for antique stores or you can restore old furniture.
As you can see, you need to be creative in this section. Try to put as many ideas in this third list as you can think of.
4. Picking the Lists
The last thing you have to do (at least with the lists) is to pick the top three ideas that you love and most of all where you think you can make money from. Another thing you need to think about is whether people will buy your products or services when you pick your top three.
Now that you have found your top three ideas, it’s time for another brainstorm session (preferably with some other people, like your friends or family.) The goal is to work out your top three ideas and to find additional things you can do with these three ideas.
For example: Making fly-fishing flies idea. You could for example also sell things you need to make your own flies. Maybe even you own fly-fishing rods. Or guides to make certain fly-fishing flies or describing the technique of making flies in general.
Pick your best ideas, after the brainstorm session. In most cases you will find your top idea in these three ideas. If you don’t, return to number four and repeat steps four and five.
Now that you have your best idea and the information of the brainstorm session it is time to make a plan. First you start by making one sentence that summaries your idea, for example:
A website with all kind of information about fly-fishing with as a goal, to generate advertising income, selling my own items, like flies, e-book guides and fly-making supplies.
Next thing you do is to write down the entire thing you need to turn the summary sentence into reality, for example:
- Business name.
- Domain name (doesn’t have to be business name.)
- Register your business name with the local, state, or federal government.
- A website (web shop system like oscommerce.com for instance.)
- Payment system. (Paypal for instance.)
- Hosting provider.
- A supplier for fly-making supplies (cheap as possible, of course.)
- Packing materials to send the bought items in.
- Time to make content for the website.
- Time to make some fly-fishing flies.
- Marketing Plan (How will people find your business.)
- Etc, etc.
Try to make the list as complete as possible!
7. Starting to Work
Now that you have you plan in place it time to start putting your plan into action. This is the hard part (mentally add least.) A lot of people have great ideas, but many of them are scared to take it to the next level.
The best thing to do is to gradually build your business, for example doing it part-time or in your spare time. This way you won’t loose your normal income from you regular job. Of course the goal is to live of your business in the future, but gradually building your work from home business until it makes a profit also works.
8. Some Additional Reading
Below you find some additional posts you may want to read. They can all help you build your home-based business:
- Every business needs an back-end marketing strategy.
- Tweaking your business model for more success.
- 150 business or freelancing tools and resources.
- Transform your dream into a business.
- 5 Tips for naming your business
- The need of a business plan
- Writing AdWords advertising text.
- Tools to create video information products.
- Some pitfalls of an online business.
- Make money online using business systems
We hope that your home-based business will be a success!
- Make Money Online and Earning a Large Income
- 7 Businesses Perfect for Working from Home
- Make Money Online and the Need of a Business Plan
- 10 Simple Saving Tips
- 6 Tips to Set Money Aside
- Information Products Ideas to Make Money Online
- Make Money Online with a Membership Sites
- Make Money Online 13 Adsense Alternatives
- 150 Essential Business or Freelancing Tools
- Use Coupons to Increase Your Online Business Sales